Diagnosis
01/2024
Country
UK
State
WM
Hi, I’m Lou,
Ive joined as my GP is considering my symptoms maybe fibro
I’m 40 years old and suffered for years with back pain, leg pain and more recently pains in arms and chest. With restless legs, pins and needs in hands and recently feet.
I’ve had scans and have general wear and tear on the spine but nothing causing the pain.
I’m unsure if I have fibro but wanted advice and to understand that if I have, how can I control the pain, its effecting my life causing financial pressures and stress

Thanks

Lou

Hi Lou, and welcome.
The way to determine whether or not you actually have fibro is to be tested for all of the (many) other things that can cause the same symptoms. You can find a list of all of these by looking online. If your tests for all of those things come back negative, or if there are distinguishing characteristics of any of those that are absolutely not present in your condition and therefore rule them out, then your doctor may come up with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Having the diagnosis is only so helpful, though, since there's no treatment for it that works for everyone, and there's no cure known as yet. It gives you something to write on insurance forms, and that's about it. but it also rests your mind to some degree, because you know it's a real thing. Not that you don't already know that.

How to control the pain is different for everyone. So no one can say, "do this, and you will have control over the pain!". You can take strong drugs, but that is not wise, because most of the things that will actually have an effect are addictive and that is not a road you want to take. some people, in person and in forums and online and in youtube videos will tell you that this or that exercise, or supplement, or whatever, cured them and you can do that too. don't believe it. But do try everything that seems reasonable to you, after checking it out with your doctor and making sure it's not potentially harmful or a scam. Don't spend a whole lot of money for something being touted online as some kind of miracle....there aren't any, and if it says it is and wants your money, it's a scam.

There are definitely things you can do that will help, but the thing is you have to find out for yourself what those things are and that takes careful experimentation. It takes time and effort, but it's worth it. I wrote a whole post on that; please check it out.

Many people here are dealing with this and have found ways that help them to manage it. You can too, and you will find support here as well as information. We are here to help.

Hi
Thank you so much for replying to my post.
I have just had a further blood test and get results next week.
I’m on a lot of meds at present to control pain and when speaking to GP they just increase the dose.
Your response was very helpful and I will read post of managing.

Thank you once again 😊

You are very welcome. You say you are o n a lot of meds to control pain, but you wouldn't be here if they really worked all that well to control the pain. The truth is that sometimes meds or the combination of them will actually exacerbate y our symptoms.

When I started out on my journey of experimentation, I was on meds all day as well. I didn't just stop taking them, but I did cut down a little bit so I could see if the other things might be helping. Eventually I was able to cut down more. These days I don't take any pain medication daily, only when it is really necessary, which is a few times a month. The rest of the time I can manage things without pain medication.

Continuing to increase the dose of pain medication is not a winning game, because you will reach a point where the highest dose doesn't work and then what do you do. Pain medication doesn't address the problem, only masks the symptoms, and that is not as effective, nor does it work for as long, as other ways of approaching pain management.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and to come here for support any time.

Hi, I’m Lou,
Ive joined as my GP is considering my symptoms maybe fibro
I’m 40 years old and suffered for years with back pain, leg pain and more recently pains in arms and chest. With restless legs, pins and needs in hands and recently feet.
I’ve had scans and have general wear and tear on the spine but nothing causing the pain.
I’m unsure if I have fibro but wanted advice and to understand that if I have, how can I control the pain, its effecting my life causing financial pressures and stress

Thanks

Lou
I can 100% relate. I'd type more, and don't want to sound complaining, but today my hands hurt too much to type more. U are not alone.

Back