Birth Control & Fibromyalgia

Hi everyone,

I'm 23, diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in September 2023, and I've never been on birth control but am considering starting. Did anyone have any adverse side effects from being on the pill as a Fibro sufferer? Might it worsen pain or other symptoms (brain fog, mood, sleep, etc.)?

Any advice or maybe links to research will be super helpful!

Thanks a bunch 🤍

He!lo @a gentle voice

Whilst I can't comment directly on the fibro/contraceptive pill, I have been looking a lot into hormones and pain, specifically the correlation of pain, with fibro and arthritis.

When speaking with my gp it seems widely accepted that female hormonal cycles do have an impact in a lot of women,in that particularly the luteal phases and the week/days of bleeds. It can ramp the pain up or, as I think, our fibro bodies perception and increased sensitivity to pain.

I have tried to do a bit of research into the pill and possible fibro effects but no luck. If no one on here can advise,maybe search for a specific fibromyalgia forum and ask your question directly ? It makes sense to do your research to see what will work best for you.

Sorry @a gentle voice ( can't get the edit button on the above post) I meant to say contact a specific fibromyalgia information WEB SITE not forum ( because in my view this is the only fibro forum I would use!)

There you should be able to ask more specifically. If I am accessing info I try to find respected web sites, rather than a blog type of thing to ensure we get better knowledge as well as experiences

My doctor put me on neuvaring. It was a continual low dose, which helped me not having peek and valley. I'm a interesting metabolizer with meds. It did help with the cramping and pms side of things. He hoped it would help my FM overall, it really didn't.

Now I take a birth control pill and a natural progesterone compound med every night continual because I have ovarian cysts (not related to neuvaring.) It is so nice not having the hormonal problems every month that always triggered my FM.

Every body is different. My reactions to meds may not be like yours. I would have some more conversation with the doctor. If it is your primary care physician, perhaps going to a gyn may be the next step to talk to them. They will more than likely have a lot more experience with birth control.

Now I take a birth control pill and a natural progesterone compound med every night
On a very random side note, my endocrinologist said that with my tumor-induced osteomalacia (rare) my birth control did help keep the strength and bone density of my bones, a happy side effect for me and my low phosphorus.

Birth control can increase the potential for blood clots. This can also be compounded with smoking.

Look for academic publication and/or very accepted and reputable places to get more information is also very wise.

@SweetWithSour I'm looking into the effect between hrt and fibro atm. ( not that I have ANY intention of stopping hrt. Ever) the oral progesterone made the cyclical imbalances far worse ( apparently fibromyalgia is known to worsen pms/ pmdd ( such joy 😠) so I opted for the mirena coil. Bonus as birth control and stops bleeds. Win win for me.

Research is vital no doubt about that

@SBee im so glad you found something that works for you!!!!

I'm learning a lot more about electrolytes, hormones, vitamins it's amazing how incredible the human body is, and how different people are with their reactions to medications. My TIO has been a lightening round of learning from the the nephrologist and endodontist what impacts what, what hormones are released from where to try to get back to homeostasis.

I believe more and more we will be turning to individualized medicine, especially with complex and rare condition. I then think this may trickle down to others when it becomes much more cost effective and the research and technologies improve. This will vary country to country and access to care. Ultimately, with most things, it comes down to the price and access.

Back