Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2002
Country
US
State
TX
Howdy from Texas! So glad I found this site today. Diagnosed over 32 yrs ago, and been through many phases. With age, have come more "diagnoses". & honestly been having a pity party for myself. That attitude HAS TO STOP! for me. I stopped reaching out for support, stopped educating myself, and acted helpless. Guess I woke up and realized how much I was missing out on, how strong I can be, and I am the only one who can continue to advocate for me. I am worth it! And so are every one of YOU! WE! ARE FIBRO WARRIORS! And that means we are at war TOGETHER AS AN ARMY! Well, thank you for listening. So glad to be here. ~

And that means we are at war TOGETHER AS AN ARMY!
Hi there.
I applaud your attitude in that you are sounding determined to take charge as best you can and pull yourself out of a self-pitying place into a place of empowerment.
YES advocate for yourself! You are strong, indeed. And you are not helpless at all. It's great that you have come to this place and I want to do everything I can to encourage this.

HOWEVER, I strongly recommend that you drop the attitude of being "AT WAR".
If you are "at war", then what/who is your enemy? Your own body?
Fibromyalgia is not a tumor that you can, if you so choose, decide to be at war with and force out of your body. Fibromyalgia is systemic as a disorder, and if you think you are at war with your own body that may cause more stress in your whole system. Stress of all kinds makes fibro worse.

I am not trying to tell you what to do. If thinking of this as a war is really helping you, who am I to say otherwise?

I only would like to ask you to take a look at this, because I have yet to hear anyone with fibromyalgia say that they are happier and healthier and have less pain because they are constantly At War with fibromyalgia. No kind of war is gentle. No kind of war is nurturing. And what your body needs is gentle care.

One of the things I recommend the most strongly to people with fibro is to remove from their life everything that causes them stress, and get rid of antagonistic relationships.
I created an antagonistic relationship with fibromyalgia at first, fighting it tooth and nail. This turned into fighting with myself (since after all it is my body). Then I felt I was fighting with the world, where people in my life gave me a hard time and doctors didn't believe me or fed me addictive drugs and then treated me as if I were a druggie. None of this made me feel better. No one feels good if they are fighting and for me, it made my pain worse.
This didn't change until I stopped thinking I had something to fight and started thinking instead that I had a soft tender and hurting thing to take care of instead, and started taking care of myself. I speak this from my own experience and that of others........but again, am not telling you what to do. Just suggesting that you examine it and see if that is really the best approach.

If you try taking the fighting energy and putting it into an exploration of what kinds of things help you, you might be surprised at the result.

I wrote a post for newcomers, and you may find some helpful suggestions there. See below.
And ask any questions you want to................we are here to help.

@Suncacola, Thank you fo retaking time to reply!

I 100% understand your reply and agree. I think I was coming from a different mindset. Military seeks all of the answers, reviews, studies, knows the options before they take action. They do not give up trying because they hit a pothole. They figure out a way around the pothole together by weighing the pros and cons gather the information they have. Review, study. They work togtether, because they are stronger as a unit. i;ve not been in the military, but this is my perseption. They succeed together by working together, sharing information, knowing they are not alone. And that process, in my mind, has greater changes of success and improving whatever the issue they are faced with.

i got frustrated after so many years. I used to use “radical acceptance” type theology. I stopped trying to seek information or reaching out to other’s for help, knowledge, suggestions, and all of the things and retreated into myself. that approach was not successful, only harmfu;. In a sense, I gave up. In my past journey with Fibr0. I was healthier, happier, and internally stronger when I reached out to educate myself, helped others, kept trying different approaches, and primarily getting support from thoser experiencing similar issues. Those’re wer3 my best times. When I stayed on top of my disease process, was diligent with treatment methods, and advocated for myself with my doctors. Very early on in the diagnosis I relied on this, my family did the typical your just lazy. . . . . Yeda Yama”. Not helpful. So external support, and perstane was peramount.

So, I referred to all of all of those actions, & things added up to my personal army working together to ”battle” my symptoms and help improve my quality of life And “supported me” while I tried to support others.

Doing this alone has proven just the opposite. I hope that puts a little more explaination into the ”army” and “warrior” comments. (Plus, yesterday, i was feeling sO much more empowered reading the posts on this forum. Getting ideas, remembering what did and didn’t help my situation, but knowing others were doing the same. Thank you and I am so happy for the feedback and thank you for your new member post link. Much appreciated! :) -AK

Hi Ann, and welcome from me, too!

Yeah, I get both sides, actually... Maybe you too?

which brings me to a "serenity prayer" attitude:
change what you can, accept what you can't and keep looking for wisdom to distinguish the two,
or I prefer to continually challenge what everyone incl. me thinks can't be changed, and find adjustments, workarounds etc. to change it after all, to demystify, unravel, find positive surprises to counteract the negative ones.

That to me is fun, actually, making the impossible possible, finding things out that hardly anyone knows. In sports and games I don't want to win over someone else, I want to be good at something. War isn't fun, it's dire. Warriors are only romantic before the fight - after, they quickly lose their gleam.

If the terms warrior and war inspire, motivate, keep going in the face of hardship, then they can be useful. I think warrior or fighter rather than war. Cos important to me is that I fight "for" and not fight "against". So it's more like fighting for rights rather than fighting against an enemy. These are challenges to win over, about construction rather than destruction.
(I once put something about this on my thread about motivation here.)

On the other hand I have gained just as much strength to do so from my "radical acceptance", too. However I understand that acceptence always in relation to the working at it. And that is how it is actually meant, as an active attitude, not a passive one, and active in a double sense: actively accept and actively keep trying to change, too. However I agree that books on it tend to dwell too much on the passive side. Or I did an online course in ACT which also gave tools mainly for the passive side. This is however not meant to exclude the active side. But we need other competences and tools for that. And also the active attitude which we have. Better for the balance between the two comes from motivation psychology (see again the thread above): radical acceptance is more state orientated, whilst for active change we need an action orientated attitude.

Another problem with the "fighting" metaphor I feel is that it's too open to interpretation - it can for instance be very close to the grieving stage of "denial", it can be done in a mental state of desperation, it can become a self purpose and blind actionism, it makes it feel like a struggle which we seem to be losing. That may all be the case, but using it then will increase that feeling instead of keeping a clear head and working diligently at prioritizing and handling what's on our plate one after the other. I manage to play it like rummy or skip-bo - I get a hand dealt, every game has a new set of rules, which I have to learn to adjust to at the same time as playing calmly and straight ahead in a way I decide. Whether I win or not, I'm playing and playing it as well as I can without getting in a fluster. And when one game is finished, I have always won just by playing "right" and finishing and being prepared for the next game.

But... I still admit I deep down still sometimes somehow feel like a fibro "warrior" or "hero" 😁.
However I think that's mainly because I've achieved to basically remain happy, satisfied and content with my life, whatever happens. And that's something I've learnt from the self-care that fibro has pointed me to. So warrior "for happiness" (perhaps, but not really "against misery"). And not just my own, so like you suggest in an "army", but praps more neutral a (-n emergency) "squad", like fire fighters?

Last edited:
Hi annking66, welcome to the forum 🥂🧁, you can have a pity party any time you want to!!! (it's like that song, it's my party and I'll cry if I want to) if you've been through/going through things, pain/other it's normal to feel sad (never good to bottle things up, I learned that) glad you're coming out of it (I used to have trouble asking for support, I've learned some people can't support/won't support/have motives or will support) self sufficiency is good but it's nice to have people that are there for you too
🤗 ➡️ 🇨🇱

Last edited:
i got frustrated after so many years. I used to use “radical acceptance” type theology. I stopped trying to seek information or reaching out to other’s for help, knowledge, suggestions, and all of the things and retreated into myself. that approach was not successful, only harmfu;. In a sense, I gave up
I would like to let you know that you have an inaccurate perception of Radical Acceptance.
First, it is not in any way a theology. "Theology" means religion. There's no religious affiliation or inference with this concept.

Second: Acceptance is not apathy. It is not acquiescence. It is not approval! And it certainly in no way, ever, means giving up!

Radical acceptance means simply and only that you stop thinking that something that IS, should NOT BE the way that it is. And instead, you accept that this is the current reality. One stops fighting reality or wasting time saying "why me?", feeling sorry for oneself, or thinking that it's unfair. One stops thinking it "should" be otherwise.

Instead you accept what is, in this moment, simply as being what is. That doesn't ever mean that in the very next moment you don't take whatever action you can take to change it, if you want to change it.
What Radical Acceptance does is free up all your energy that was wasted doing these other harmful and unhelpful things, and now you can use that energy to change what you can change. (as in, serenity prayer kind of thinking as Jay said).

Acceptance of what is in the moment means you are seeing it clearly.
It means that you can now see or set out to discover what action you can take, and then do those things.

Taking an active part in your own care and getting support and all of the things you are doing is what I always advocate. AND I advocate having Radical Acceptance as well. I practice it pretty much daily because if I do not I find myself feeling in unhelpful ways and having a tendency to slip into unhelpful patterns.

I think you are practicing it as well or you wouldn't be able to maintain what you are doing. You are just calling it something else.

Back