Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
NY
I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for a few years now. My flares are usually the same symptoms. Maybe a little different here and there but lately when a flare starts I’ve notice that my voice begins to get hoarse. It’s happened the last few times. Has anyone else experienced this ? Thanks

when a flare starts I’ve notice that my voice begins to get hoarse. .. the last few times
Yep. Not every flare, and not just in flares. I also got this pre-fibro when I was stressed/nervous. I can imagine it's dry, dries up, altho it doesn't nec. feel it.
Not sure if I always have a dry mouth if I have a dry throat/get hoarse.
A new so easy trick for dry mouth and throat I came up with a few weeks ago and do all the time is sucking and collecting saliva, then spreading it in all the nooks and crannies with my tongue. If necessary gargling with salt water instead of sucking. That was one of ~10 suggestions by Hansaji Yogendra ('Yoga Institute') on youtube.

down under in the bush to solve a dry mouth one sucks a smooth small stone.

Yes, I've experienced this lately and it puzzled me. Dry mouth and throat could be my issue as well.

down under in the bush to solve a dry mouth one sucks a smooth small stone.
Funny that, I was going to tell my wife about my saliva sucking, and she said just that. Up to now I haven't got round to looking for a suitable stone. Not sure if they'd do that if the temperature were around freezing point ;P.

Getting and keeping the mouth salivated is of course good for the whole mouth biome, incl. lips and teeth - mine have been suffering more since fibro.

Thank you all for responding. I thought it was only me. Such a strange thing to happen on top of everything else that comes with a Fibro flare.

I am new to the forum but have had fibromyalgia many, many years. Just read your post about having a flare with your voice getting hoarse. I went to the Grand Canyon & on the way back to the hotel the bus driver had fresh air blowing in. I have seasonal allergies & I ended up with what I thought was a bad cold. However, it never went away & what was left was a terrible dry cough. After seeing a doctor & with lots of test I was diagnosed with asthma & given inhalers that I use when needed. To this day I still have a chronic dry cough that isn’t as bad, provided that I stay inside my home. If I go out, especially spring or fall it is worse & people hearing me cough think I’m contagious, giving me bad looks. I have tried over the counter medication like Biotene, etc. & my dentist told me to Xylitol that didn’t work. So I sip my water or other fluids constantly & suck on sugar free hard candy. Not only do I have dry mouth, but dry eyes, nose, & ears.
Unfortunately, for me I have lost my singing voice. I used to sing high soprano & now I sound like a bullfrog. I rarely try to sing because my throat gets dry, etc. It has been about 25 years since I lost my singing vouce.

I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for a few years now. My flares are usually the same symptoms. Maybe a little different here and there but lately when a flare starts I’ve notice that my voice begins to get hoarse. It’s happened the last few times. Has anyone else experienced this ? Thanks
I get hoarse and lose my voice totally at times, particularly if I'm talking (I guess I talk to much, lol) or exposed to wood smoke (or other types of smoke/chemicals). While the inside of my mouth doesn't feel dry, my throat feels very dry. I can no longer sing; part of it is from aging but mostly my vocal cords are strained and I can't reach the high or low notes.

Back