Recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

Robe

I have very recently been diagnosed with fibro on anti depressants and Amitriptyline been told its all about life style changes, diet changes reducing stress, I work full time shift work. Question is why do I feel more lost than ever more. Fed up with pain fatigue and foggy head. Any body else at a loss.
Many thanks Rob.

Hi Robe,
Well, you feel lost because you have been told you have a disorder/syndrome/ whatever they are calling it, that doesn't have any cure that is currently known, and for which treatment varies greatly and nothing is for certain going to help any one individual. On top of being in pain, and whatever other symptoms you are having. It's enough to make most people feel at a loss.

Don't feel alone....most of us felt that way at first, and we are all here to help and support one another.

It is true that lifestyle changes, diet, exercise of the right kind for you, and reducing stress will all be highly beneficial to you and may reduce symptoms. The thing is, no one can tell you what to do that will work for you. We can tell you what worked for us, and you can try that, but there is no one thing that works to help everyone with fibromyalgia.

So, it's up to you to find out what works for you.
I know..........not easy to hear when you already feel overwhelmed and at a loss and probably upset that this is happening to you. But it's the truth. The good news is that it takes time, and you can go at your own pace. Slow and steady and dedicated experimentation will reveal to you what kinds of things work best for you. For some it's going vegan, but for others it's being more carnivore. For some yoga is best, for others it's walking. Some take to meditation and others don't. Whatever works for you is the Right Thing for you, so don't let anyone else tell you that you have to do this or that. Find out for yourself. And don't rely on doctors and medications to do the job. They can help, but they are not the only answer.

Here's a post I made with suggestions to get you started. Post any questions you may have, and remember that this is a safe place to ask, to tell of your experience, and just to vent when you need to. We are here to support you.
https://www.fibromyalgiaforums.org/community/threads/my-advice-for-managing-fibromyalgia-especially-for-newcomers.28106/

I think you feel lost because you've been recently diagnosed with something that not a whole lot is known about. As you live with it longer, and begin to accept the diagnosis, I feel that you will feel less lost. But most importantly, I urge you to stick around here in the forums, engage, read, educate yourself, etc. This is a wonderful, safe and educational place to be for all of us fibromyalgics. I felt the same as you in the beginning, but once I found this group and became an active participant, so much changed for the better in my world. Stick around, and I hope that it will be the same for you.

Back