Nausea and Anxiety attacks

mrclo

I'm sure these have been discussed on here before but just wanted to bring it up for a fresh discussion. Thanks mrclo.

I also have severe joint pain due to arthritis and take aspirin and tylenol for that. However, my general practitioner prescribed Lexapro for my anxiety that when mixed with aspirin can cause stomach bleeding Not to mention I also need at least a baby aspirin for my heart. It seems I can't win for loosing.:mad:

There are many anti-anxiety medications. You can ask your doctor to prescribe one that doesn't have that danger for you. I suggest you have a conversation with them about this.

About the nausea, what do you want to know or discuss?

There are many anti-anxiety medications. You can ask your doctor to prescribe one that doesn't have that danger for you. I suggest you have a conversation with them about this.

About the nausea, what do you want to know or discuss?
I don't know, I've read several threads threads about it. My mind tends to go around in circles some times. Thanks for the response sunkacola.
P.S. I've decided that I need the aspirin more than the Lexapro so I'm going to hold off on it for now.

Hello @mrclo , it just me that is surprised a dr prescribed a drug that interacts negatively with other drugs?

I agree with @sunkacola , when you feel ready to do so, speak with your Dr about something thanks suitable and won't cause more harm, which of course sets the anxiety spiralling even more.
Are over the counter herbal remedies available? They can be effective and more gentle. But must ALWAYS be taken under medical advice, used incorrectly again, in connection with other drugs they can do harm.

Sometimes I find just having an anti anxiety medication to hand is enough to calm me, because I am on an extremely low dose of an anti depressant\anxiety medication but just the knowledge I can goto a higher dose ( with my drs ok) feels like a safety net for me. I may not need too take it, but it's a back up plan.

Anxiety is awful. Take your time, and always ask for help when you need to.

Sometimes I find just having an anti anxiety medication to hand is enough to calm me
Hi mrclo
I suffer from terrible anxiety and nausea. I agree with SBee that having an anti anxiety medication on hand is often calming enough at times, just knowing I have that glass to break in case of emergency.
As for a daily medication, I’ve been run through the gamut and had different side effects from different ones. It could be a possibility that the nausea is a side effect from one of your medications.
Over the years, or ahem decades but who’s counting, I’ve developed a bag of tricks to use for my anxiety. I learned these through one-on-one therapy, group therapy, support groups, apps, books, etc. I have these available at all times for when anxiety hits, which is often for me.
My main tools stem from CBT (cognitive behavior therapy), DBT (dialectical behavior therapy), and yogic breath work. I feel having a wide range of tools at my ready has been helpful as certain situations call for different types of tools.
As for the nausea itself, I often feel nauseous when I have anxiety. It’s actually quite interesting what the body goes through physically during a panic attack. I could explain the symptoms but I’m sure you know them.
However I found it very insightful to have a doctor who understands anxiety run through the physical onset, climax, and then recession that the body and mind face during a panic attack, as well as what the mind ponders in between.
I could go on and on. As I said, this is something I’ve struggled with my entire adult life so I’ve been diligent in educating my way out and I do understand what you’re going through. But please know there are solutions, hope is not lost. And if you’d like me to go on and on, please let me know haha

Hiya @Amesalot

Anxiety is one of the worse things I think, in that it does of course affect us physically and emotionally\mentally ( I never wish to offend anyone by using the word mentally, it is something I am comfortable when speaking about myself).
I don't suffer as much physically when anxiety hits, although it can ramp up my IBS. I was never a very anxious person until perimenopause hit, then it slammed into me almost overnight.

One thing that helped my enormously is I never now try to multi task. for me , it just does not work anymore. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and if I am interrupted I almost panic, the spiral on anxiety begins again. I know it's not always practical to be able to do this, but the closest people to me understand this and try to work with me on this.
Again, not always practical, but I do a task slowly with great thought and concentration. I am working on my yoga breathing as a way to calm and steady myself. Work in progress...

It's important as you know to find what works for us as individuals, and I cannot stress enough to anyone who has anxiety or mental health issues to never, ever believe they should feel ashamed or in any way weak. I personally believe it is a great strength to ask for help. I feel so passionately that past views on mental health have damaged enough people. There are many ways to seek and find the help for ourselves as individuals. Anyone with anxiety or mental health problems should never feel alone.

Taking things one step at a time sounds like a good strategy. Yoga breathing sounds like a calming approach too. It's all about finding what works best for each of us. Asking for help is a strength, not a weakness. I agree, the stigma around mental health needs to change.

It took me MANY medications before finding the correct combination and dose. My psychiatrist and I took a little over a year to find what works best for me.

I've also found my anxiety does increase my nausea. I try to always keep mints in my purse with me. I also have a cute decorated dog bag holder. The bags have helped me many times when I'm about to get sick and stuck somewhere that I can't quickly get to someplace to get sick, or it is coming on too quickly.

The last podcast I recorded was Meet My Anxiety (aka the gremlins in my mind). My Dad was suffering from anxiety so I wanted to share some information to be able to help him, as well as others that have anxiety. I tell how I was introduced to my anxiety and a few tools that I use to help.

The medication that I finally found that helps me is Auvelity. It is a pretty new medication that was approved in the United States not too long ago. It is a combination of bupropion and dextromethorphan ( a cough medication that keeps the bupropion in the system longer). It took me a few months to get up to and to tolerate the 2x a day dose. I'm VERY different in how I metabolize medications some hypersensitivity some not at all.

Sending you hugs and healing vibes

Taking slow, deep breaths was a game-changer for me. It's surprising how much it can calm you down. Plus, getting lost in some tunes or a good book works wonders for shifting your focus away from those anxious thoughts.

I don't see any question here by the original poster, but I will write something anyway.

Basically, I second @sunkacola comment. There are indeed many anxiolytics available. If your anxiety is severe enough, and you have been diagnosed with some form of anxiety disorder as I, I would most definitely speak with your doctor about this.

As for nausea, I suggest looking closely at your diet and your medications. Pay close attention to what you are doing right before the nausea sets in, right before it begins.

For example, just a few days ago I started a new type of fiber supplement for constipation, and it had an ingredient I had never used before. I immediately connected the nausea with this supplement prescribed by my doctor and called my pharmacist about it. We had a lengthy discussion, and after talking about it for a while I realized that the nausea was due to the fact that I had not eaten anything when I took the gummies in question. The prior two doses I already had food in my stomach, but the third dose was first thing in the morning and I had not yet eaten anything.

So by discussing it with the pharmacist and talking it out we were able to identify the potential cause of the nausea, and by testing it out it turned out that was exactly the case. Now I no longer have the nausea as long as I eat something in the morning when I take the fiber gummy prescribed by my doctor. 😁

Back