Need help quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so you really want the solutions? :cool: Here they come... not for the faint-hearted.
A bolus is just the name for the normal "balls of food" when we eat and swallow, not usually getting stuck.
If people eat bits of cows, the meat fibres can stick together more than other food and even get stuck. That's the reason for the nickname "steakhouse". Doesn't have to be meat, it can be not chewing, alcohol, GERD.... And fizz can help a little bit by bringing gas into the goo.
In my case I have this Schatzki ring above the stomach, making my oesophagus narrow. I don't eat animals. And any food will do, sometimes even yogurt etc, and even drinking a lot with my supps is no guarantee. If I don't wait long enough between mouthfuls, pressure builds up and it all sticks together and won't go down. Before the gastritis, rubbing and tapping tummy/chest (above and below sternum) did help get it moving again, sometimes fizz helped, if it wasn't too bad, or had moved a bit. If not, it makes it worse. When I try rubbing at all now, I need to be near the bathroom, and essentially I've given it up, the chance of it helping is about 5%. Either it goes down or has to come up, there's no middle field any more. The "up" is sometimes easy, but it's got increasingly difficult and strenuous too, even tho the method isn't complicated. Means I have to be extremely mindful with every single mouthful and immediately stop chewing and remove everything incl. liquid out of my mouth if I feel the slightest build-up of pressure.

What makes this interesting is it's another example for believing something may be fibromyalgia. Someone else in my fibro clinic had it too. And I thought it made sense, thought it was the oesophagus-muscles cramping. But then I was wondering if it is a symptom of eosinophilic (o)esophagitis (EoE) or MCAS (the oesophagus mast cells playing up) and just wanted to get it checked, like everything. It wasn't visible last time the gastroenterologist had a look 2 years ago and wasn't visible to two ENTs in the meantime either. When he compared the pics he could now see a hint of it 2 years ago and it has now become "impressive" as he put it in his report. Only reason I don't think it'll get worse is because I've got my food triggers sorted out perfectly, so GERD is no longer an issue.
I forgot to quote this in my other reply...it's floating around here somewhere 😅

I get this with fizzy drinks sometimes, it just won't go down and can be quite painful o_O
Not sure if that's the same thing or just because it's carbonated as I don't get it with food :unsure:

I get this with fizzy drinks sometimes, it just won't go down and can be quite painful o_O
Not sure if that's the same thing or just because it's carbonated as I don't get it with food :unsure:
I think i may have gotten it a few times. It was when I tried to swallow a carbonated drink too fast

When eating out and you have to rub around your sternum etc
Well... once CoV has passed (good joke...) and I can eat with others indoors again.... I'll get them to do the "bathroom-rush".
you should ask your friends to mirror everything you do so that you look normal 😃. Maybe you guys can make it look like a dance routine, clack spoons on the table, and rap between bouts. That's what kind of friends we all deserve 😁 #jaycs
Actually we do sometimes "dance"... one friend used to be embarrassed about my yoga antics during (outdoor) table tennis, now he has lumbar and elbow problems himself, sometimes has to lie on the table and do exercises. And another table tennis friend was the one who introduced me to a "back yoga" book/DVD and we've done a few routines together....
When I was once doing back exercises on the table, an elderly couple came past and asked what I was doing and said if it were public she'd join it... : :cool: So FM for me has become just one big social phobia CBT party... (or at least to have gotten my social phobia down 20 years before and even more so 6 years before it started) was a good prerequisite *.

* prerequisite as "Latin":
By the way, sweetkamie, "prerequisite" is probably a good example for "Latin" when I write. I think of a pretty simple German word/expression, can't think of the English one, so look it up (I use dictionary and thesaurusses/thesauri ;-) all the time, it's faster, or maybe that's due to fog). But there is no simple English word for it in the dictionaries I use. So I guess it's circumscribed/paraphrased ... here I go again .... in English... OK that's simpler for me to simplify: So I guess you just use a simple completely different way of saying it. Just can't find it in- or outside me.... So altho I'd actually love to keep my language simple, simplifying takes 3-4x as long. - I tested that the other day when someone on another forum complained about a long complicated post. So I wrote a simple version, a quarter of the length, which I was very pleased with, but took me a few hours to do....

When I was once doing back exercises on the table, an elderly couple came past and asked what I was doing and said if it were public she'd join it... : :cool:
Well you must have been doing something right...way better than I could. I think people would make a viral YouTube video of me. Just see "Charlotte takes a rumble" on YouTube and, well, that's sort of me
* prerequisite as "Latin":
So altho I'd actually love to keep my language simple, simplifying takes 3-4x as long. - I tested that the other day when someone on another forum complained about a long complicated post. So I wrote a simple version, a quarter of the length, which I was very pleased with, but took me a few hours to do....
I have the same problem except it might be more OCD/perfectionism problem. I am like a crotchety old English professor that demands the perfect word to describe something. Yet words are such failures in that they can only go so far in elucidating a reality, a moment in time...I wrote a poem 2 decades ago called the failure of words...be long winded, I don't mind :). I get it

Not sure if that's the same thing or just because it's carbonated as I don't get it with food
I think i may have gotten it a few times. It was when I tried to swallow a carbonated drink too fast
Does sound very similar. As I can (otherwise) hardly drink fizzy drinks due to the acidity I'm what that would be like now. Strange that it can be a cause and also an antidote. I'd imagine it does go down sometime, as opposed to mine. Some people need to go to hospital to get it out again. Luckily my muscles are still strong enough.
Another reason for me to stay off those naughty fizzy drinks :rolleyes: And I was being good with sugar free ;)
Now that's made me remember in my first trips to Germany to be delighted to find fizzy pure mineral water without anything naughty in it, everywhere you go. And when I first read about food getting stuck and it being called steakhouse syndrome they kept talking about drinking cola, and I was sure the caustic nature of cola wouldn't work that fast, so I had to look for ages to find something saying it's the fizz, not the cola....
We use something trade named "sodastream", where we can dose how much fizz we put into tap water.

Charlotte takes a rumble
Oh, Scarlet, poor soul... 😬 - that hurts, don't watch... the pink dolphins... oh, no, that was the other thread...
"You and who's army?" 😏 🙃 - to flip-side a phrase that I hope I remember correctly, if from a very different context... :ROFLMAO:
(If we don't watch out this is gonna become a language pub thread....)

We use something trade named "sodastream", where we can dose how much fizz we put into tap water.
ooh yeah...I remember the sodastream. I may have to look into getting one of those again :unsure:
Cheers JayCS (y)

Oh, Scarlet, poor soul... 😬 - that hurts, don't watch... the pink dolphins... oh, no, that was the other thread...

"You and who's army?" 😏 🙃 - to flip-side a phrase that I hope I remember correctly, if from a very different context... :ROFLMAO:
(If we don't watch out this is gonna become a language pub thread....)
Lol word ninjas in the house 😂

I don't know why some posts show up and then disappear 😢. Like I saw fimi and auriels for a sec and dolphins etc but I can't find them now 😭

I don't know why some posts show up and then disappear 😢. Like I saw fimi and auriels for a sec and dolphins etc but I can't find them now
Yeah, happened to me too. We're probably driving the forum software crazy, it's not used to eating so much traffic, and has probably tried .... now: eating .... the toadstool....
Actually I think it's because while we are writing new posts are suggested and these also change what page we're on, e.g. if we start writing a post on page 3, but it gets longer, then we "post" it, and it goes on page 4, either because of the length or others faster than us...

"You and who's army?
Looking thru if I've missed anything it occurred to me it might be whose, looked it up... yep... not who is army. but "You and whose army?" (Just typing that into my browser address line wrongly even corrects me.)

Looking thru if I've missed anything it occurred to me it might be whose, looked it up... yep... not who is army. but "You and whose army?" (Just typing that into my browser address line wrongly even corrects me.)
Every word in the world at the tip of your fingers! So amazing but they still are inadequate 😭.

Yeah, happened to me too. We're probably driving the forum software crazy, it's not used to eating so much traffic, and has probably tried .... now: eating .... the toadstool....
Actually I think it's because while we are writing new posts are suggested and these also change what page we're on, e.g. if we start writing a post on page 3, but it gets longer, then we "post" it, and it goes on page 4, either because of the length or others faster than us...
I think it was switching between threads as I didn't realize we separated wonderland from fibroland 😅

they still are inadequate
Yep - to us OCD/perfectionists each word would need to be at least 140% fitting....
oh the inadequacy of .... life.... perfectly imperfect, only Grace can help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back