New drug for muscle stiffness

lingo57

Hi,
I have been suffering from fibromyalgia for years and I have been to many doctors and done many tests.
The most important problem that torments me is muscle stiffness. Although I have taken and am taking many medicines, I still have this problem.

Now my question is, has a new drug been made for this problem that will reduce some of the problems of fibromyalgia patients?
Thanks,
Saeed

has a new drug been made for this problem that will reduce some of the problems of fibromyalgia
Hi Saeed, and welcome!
That's a very specific question, seeing as it's hard to get any new drugs to work at all.
So: No.
New meds are being developed and trialled all the time, but none as yet changing anything.

Best place to look for that kind of research is healthrising. Articles like "Looking Forward to 2022 Pt. II: Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS Clinical Trials Plus Six Potential Game-changers."

Or the studies, like on pubmed. The quickest overview is the yearly Italian summary of the most important studies, for 2022 it's "Fibromyalgia: one year in review 2023". Nothing about any new drugs there, only meta-reviews finding duloxetine, pregabalin "least bad", then amitriptyline. And one confirming that vitamin D supplements do on average really help.

Apart from that, that summary reports ozone, yoga & tai chi, "a modified high-antioxidant diet, weight control, and nutritional supplementation" can help, whilst Khorasan wheat improves FM symptoms via improving the gut biome. Various types of neurostimulation (TMS and tDCS) have promising results, but need to be tested further.

I've been analyzing my stiffness lately, and have detected a stiffness that comes from the tendon insertion points around the joints and a muscle stiffness. Both can come from holding postures, so keeping on the move helps me, as well as twist-stretching, for instance before I get up. But I've also found various cheats how to move quicker before the stiffness wears off without hurting myself.
I've also found out that both forms can be there or not independently of the severe Ache.

I use several supps (like the amino acid GABA) that relax muscles, e.g. my bladder pain, and they improved my stiffness.

Stiffness may be my most visible symptom, but it's not my most disabling, exhaustion is.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum lingo57, ☕🍪, that's a good question, ny legs are getting affected lately, quite badly. (causing me to cancel appointments), so I'd like something for that too! ( Our local muscle gel, I don't think is for larger areas) i'll look into the things above (see if they make a difference) glad you joined (and asked such a good question) others can read it too now (and maybe find some help) 👍🏻 ✨

Last edited:
That's a very specific question, seeing as it's hard to get any new drugs to work at all.
So: No.
New meds are being developed and trialled all the time, but none as yet changing anything.
This is pretty much exactly what I would say as well.

Hi,
I have been suffering from fibromyalgia for years and I have been to many doctors and done many tests.
The most important problem that torments me is muscle stiffness. Although I have taken and am taking many medicines, I still have this problem.

Now my question is, has a new drug been made for this problem that will reduce some of the problems of fibromyalgia patients?
Thanks,
Saeed
Hi,
It might be little bit late, but I hope this message reaches you and helps!

My main issue is muscle stiffness too. And Among many many medicines I tried, a muscle relaxant baclofen, helps me muscle stiffness a bit. You may give it a try.

Hi,

My main issue is muscle stiffness too. And Among many many medicines I tried, a muscle relaxant baclofen, helps me muscle stiffness a bit. You may give it a try.
The OP has not been back to the forum since the day they made that first post, so it's unlikely that they will see your post.

However, someone else may read this and possibly benefit from it.
I also take Baclofen occasionally, sometimes combined with ibuprofen, and I find that it is helpful.

The key for me has been to experiment and discover which kinds of pain, and in which areas of my body, the baclofen will help with, because it has no effect on certain kinds or areas, and is very useful for others.

The OP has not been back to the forum since the day they made that first post, so it's unlikely that they will see your post.

However, someone else may read this and possibly benefit from it.
I also take Baclofen occasionally, sometimes combined with ibuprofen, and I find that it is helpful.

The key for me has been to experiment and discover which kinds of pain, and in which areas of my body, the baclofen will help with, because it has no effect on certain kinds or areas, and is very useful for others.
My prediction is that, baclofen can not help pain of areas/tissues which are severely damaged and have to be repaired by body itself.
It might be able to just soften mild muscle stiffness maybe which is caused by staying motionless for long time, or is caused by forcing your muscles more than you should have, like carrying heavy, walking a lot etc.

My prediction is that, baclofen can not help pain of areas/tissues which are severely damaged and have to be repaired by body itself.
It might be able to just soften mild muscle stiffness maybe which is caused by staying motionless for long time, or is caused by forcing your muscles more than you should have, like carrying heavy, walking a lot etc.
Everyone is different in this regard, so it's not really possible to know which kinds of pain a medication with affect in a positive way in which people.
Theories are great, and are important to explore......and it is equally important to remember that they are theories, or are statements made from one person's experience. A person's experience is very valuable to hear, and can be helpful to others, which is one of the reasons we have this forum. But everyone's experience is different. I say this because I don't want anyone to feel discouraged from trying something, whether it is medication or movement or alternative therapy, simply because one person, or even several people, say it didn't help them, or won't help. Equally, of course, it's important to keep in mind that because something helped others is not a guarantee that it will help you.

The most helpful thing anyone with fibromyalgia can do for themselves is to experiment. Read everything, learn as much about others' experience as you wish to, but put your trust primarily in your own experience.

Hi,

Is baclofen similar to tizanidine, or is it notably different? I am prescribed the muscle relaxant tizanidine, but I can only take it at bedtime as it makes me too weak and tired to function during the day.

Is baclofen similar to tizanidine, or is it notably different? I am prescribed the muscle relaxant tizanidine, but I can only take it at bedtime as it makes me too weak and tired to function during the day.
I used tizanidine long time ago at the time when I had only muscle pain issue didnt have muscle stiffness issue.
Therefore i didnt get any noticeable benefit of tizanidine. Maybe I should try it again. But as far as i know, baclofen is known as strongest muscle relaxant existing.

I used tizanidine long time ago at the time when I had only muscle pain issue didnt have muscle stiffness issue.
Therefore i didnt get any noticeable benefit of tizanidine. Maybe I should try it again. But as far as i know, baclofen is known as strongest muscle relaxant existing.
Since relax is pretty much the opposite of stiff, I don't understand your reasoning by saying that since tizanidine is a muscle relaxant you did not get any benefit. Then you go on to say that baclofen is a muscle relaxer. My head is spinning. LOL
I guess I will ask a different question. Does baclofen make you weak and drowsy? Can you compare it to tizanidine with regard to those side effects?
Thank you for your response.

Since relax is pretty much the opposite of stiff, I don't understand your reasoning by saying that since tizanidine is a muscle relaxant you did not get any benefit. Then you go on to say that baclofen is a muscle relaxer. My head is spinning. LOL
I guess I will ask a different question. Does baclofen make you weak and drowsy? Can you compare it to tizanidine with regard to those side effects?
Thank you for your response.
Well, yes both of them are muscle relaxants but it doesnt mean that both will affect everyone exactly in the same way.
This logic just applies to other medication groups too. Especially for anti-depressants. There are many anti depressants in the market. But many of them make different affects on same people and again on different people. And many of anti-depressants work in the body in very different way, i mean like the receptors they interfere or hormones they increase etc.

I am not a doctor. But sometimes even if multiple medicines are used for same or similar purpose, in the body, their working method differs from each other a lot.
Look just like i predicted; what GPT says:
Mechanism of Action:
  • Tizanidine: Tizanidine acts centrally by stimulating alpha2-adrenergic receptors in the spinal cord and brain. By inhibiting excitatory neurotransmitter release, it reduces spasticity and muscle tone.
  • Baclofen: Baclofen works primarily by activating gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors in the central nervous system. This leads to inhibition of spinal reflexes, resulting in reduced muscle spasticity and relaxation.

I don't really get any noticeable side affect of baclofen, excluding erectile dysfunction (only when used a least 2-3 days in a row.)

About tizanidine, I remember mild drowsiness affect. But still not sure. I tried it like 3 years ago and at the same time i was trying many other medicines too :)

PS: I just realized one thing: The receptors (GABA) that baclofen interferes is the same of the receptors that gabapentin interferes. So, if you ever tried gabapentin and got benefit of it, baclofen might be useful too 🤔 . I used gabapentin pretty much in the past, but i left it because of side affects.

@SacrificedPawn
Fantastic information! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to write this detailed and informative response to me about baclofen.

Now I understand what you were talking about. And it makes sense to me now.
I currently take gabapentin for neuropathy, and from what I gathered by your post it would be okay to take both gabapentin and baclofen? Gabapentin is indeed effective on my neuropathy.

The facts you wrote about not noticing any noticeable side effects from baclofen, except the Ed of course, is encouraging to me since as I said before I cannot take tizanidine during the daytime at all. So I only benefit from it while I am asleep. The Ed side effect does concern me a bit. I currently take tadalafil for ED, and I also use a transdermal testosterone gel for low testosterone. Right now, I am very happy with the tremendous improvement in my Ed compared to 3 years ago, and I would hate to jeopardize that.

Would you mind going into a little more detail about how baclofen affects your Ed? I want to ask my doctor about this, but I want to get as much information from people like you who actually use this drug before approaching her.

If it were to cause ED for me, because essentially I don't really have the problem anymore with my medications, that would be a big turn off for me, a side effect I would not want at all and I believe would outweigh the benefits in my case. So I would really love to hear more about baclofen and Ed, not just from you but from anyone reading this who has any experience.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to go into so much detail. This has been very enlightening and gives me some hope that there is a better muscle relaxant out there that could work for me.

Damn, This website drives me crazy, I just lost the long response i was about to post, lol.

@sunkacola
Website both doesnt save drafts of messages and doesnt warn me when I click on a link without posting the message.
Would you mind going into a little more detail about how baclofen affects your Ed?
Strong ED effect of baclofen is very well known. When I take 1 tablet of 10 mg baclofen, it doesnt worsen the quality of erection even I may say that it little bit enhances erection probably thanks to the relaxation it provides in muscles, but reaching orgasm might be slightly harder.
This applies, when I take only 1 tablet!
If I start taking it daily, after 3 days of use, It is almost impossible to get an erection :) Therefore, I usually leave 3-4 days gap between each dose.

In the market there are more muscle relaxants available: thiocolchicoside, cyclobenzaprine, methocarbamol.
You may try them too if you didnt try yet.
I currently take tadalafil for ED
I occasionally take sildenafil. Once I tried tadanafil too and for me sildenafil is much more effective than tadanafil.

I currently take gabapentin for neuropathy,
I used gapentin for long time and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. It doesnt heal you. It just blocks your brain to feel signals coming from damaged nerves. Therefore, this may cause you to worsen your condition. ie. by sleeping in a bed position etc.

You may have a look at my topic in here for details information:
My exciting and long story with fibromyalgia! I hope this is going to be inspirational for many of you!

@sunkacola
Website both doesnt save drafts of messages and doesnt warn me when I click on a link without posting the message.
In my experience, I can move away from a post I am making and come back even a day later and my response, unsent, is still there. I suspect that this is another thing you will notice changes once you have been a member long enough to have posted a certain number of times.

In the meantime, if you need to click on a link or something just make sure you send the message first, or else click on the link to "Open In A New Tab".

As for warning you of things, no the website doesn't do that.

Back