Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2022
Country
US
State
VA
I always had delayed onset muscle soreness after exercise, but since I’ve been diagnosed and after each flare up (after illnesses) this has become my major problem. I used to feel it the day after working out or maybe the next day which I know is normal (I’m a retired Physical therapist) but now I can start feeling it immediately, even with the most gentle ex, low weights , low reps . I’m trying to find a balance of how much discomfort to accept so as not to get any weaker than I have gotten from becoming deconditioned.
Any suggestions ? I do make sure I’m hydrated, eat a balanced diet .. it’s been the most frustrating part of having fibromyalgia for me (which I’m grateful that my symptoms are not more severe)

This has been the most frustrating part of having fibro for me as well, so I completely understand what you are saying.
I used to lift weights seriously; I really loved it, was very strong and muscular, and I know how to do it right and how to build up slowly and all of the things that you also know very well from your own experience and extensive training as a PT. I tried for years to work my way back very methodically and with great determination to being able to do a modified weight routine and I am afraid I must report that it never worked for me. I ultimately had to come to terms with the fact that weight lifting and that kind of workout is simply not something I can do any more at any level.

This doesn't mean the same thing is true for you! I am only telling you this because it might be the case for you as it is for me.
It was excruciatingly hard for me to give that up and decide not to try again, as it has been for me to give up other things that used to be my life's blood in physical activity. This is the most challenging thing of all for me. I have to practice Radical Acceptance every day to live with the fact that the physical activities that used to be my favorite things to do and that kept me stable emotionally are no longer available to me. I know my physical condition has gone downhill because I am not doing those things, and while I am still in pretty good condition overall because I lived an active lifestyle for so many years, that is hard for me to accept.
I truly hope that this will not be the case for you, and that you can find a way to continue.

All I can say to you from my own experience is keep trying, because you know as well as I do (or better) exactly how to go about it. No one needs to give you a set of instructions, and unfortunately there's nothing I can tell you that you don't already know about how to do this.
I hope you find that you can develop a routine that works for you.
(And if you do, please let me know)
So sorry I can't be more help.

I’m lucky to have not one but three PTs that are working with me , one insurance covers and I see her off and on as needed for myofascial work and Osatoopathic adjustments which really helps keep me aligned for my arthritis also .I discovered a
Medical yoga PT and a PT who specializes in Pilates.I’ve done Pilates also for years . I was able to do weight training, not the level I did pre diagnosis (at 64 y/o I was able to safely dead lift my weight) in June before I had Covid I was strength training and doing Pilates at a much reduced level, but now I see I really have to adjust …again .. what I can do , its good for me to learn it’s just not me experiencing this
Are you able to do any formal exercise now ?

I always had delayed onset muscle soreness after exercise, but since I’ve been diagnosed and after each flare up (after illnesses) this has become my major problem. I used to feel it the day after working
Hmm... I seldom had muscle soreness, actually - and I loved getting it, it felt like sort of proof of getting stronger. To me the pain after too much movement feels totally different to the muscle soreness I used to have: is yours the same? I get that the onset time is different, like mine, but doesn't it have a completely different quality?
Mine: Added to the severe "Ache" from overdoing it I also have a kind of "post exertional malaise", a feeling of illness with nausea etc. similar to that of CFS, just that it like you say it starts during the exercise or directly after the cortisol/adrenaline drops.
I’m trying to find a balance of how much discomfort to accept so as not to get any weaker than I have gotten from becoming deconditioned. Any suggestions? .......
3 suggestions:
1) spread over the day in smaller lesser stints, low and slow, but frequently... if necessary, starting below the limit that hurts at all and working ourselves up.
2) Trialling to find out when recovery takes longer than e.g. an hour.
3) Gentle exercises like twist-stretches while resting (via posture and things like a swivel chair), to keep the muscles on move.

My experiences:
Extraordinary to me is that I've hardly become de-conditioned at all: I don't have any condition problems when I find something that helps my energy come back a bit so that I can do things like a "7 minute scientific" workout. Even after 4 years of fibro and 2 years of MCAS now, both pretty severe. I'm sure if my energy ever gets back, the muscle strength
My explanations are firstly that I move as much as I can as long as the recovery time stays under 1-3 hours, preferably 1. That does vary, and very often I can tell, sometimes it helps if others remind me. (Recovery time is quicker if I use active rest, e.g. breathing exercises, legs up, cold showering etc., rather than passive). That's esp. playing table tennis (outdoors) almost every day - cos I don't need to move much, but can, if I can. That accordingly can be playing 0 games (often after doc treatments or exams) to at the moment back to 6 (cos of LD N). Cos I do it every day I know the inner signs, and if I don't recognize them by the 2nd or 4th game, my mate may ask if I'm sure I want to carry on, cos he knows the outer signs.
Secondly, small exercises all day, "every" hour.
Thirdly, twist-stretching etc. whilst resting.
That would be things I do that contribute.
But granted it may also have to do with my specific type of "fatigue" too - I call it "quick exhaustibility". This means I can do some things fairly unlimited in a certain short time - I can still do 20 to 30 fast push-ups almost whenever I want (but no way slow). The trick here is then to keep to that short time. No more long. Altho of course we learn that'd be best.
But another example for stamina: Since LD N I can go for walks of an hour without having to work up to that - if the energy is retrievable, my muscles can do it.

Thank you for your input , that’s essentially what my yoga PT told me to do for exercise when I saw her a few weeks ago but then I came down with this other respiratory virus so I’m delayed again to start exercising !
But yes the muscle soreness after exercise is different, I didn’t think about this until you mentioned it …it’s not just “good old soreness that makes you know you’re doing something “ but pain soreness all over , can’t really describe it .i now know I can’t participate right now in an hour of Pilates sessions like I used to . So I will take the suggestions that you mentioned.
I still am an able to function, do light housework etc grocery shop , I just know I’m deconditioned , I can go to a Pilates session and do everything the instructor asks , then I pay for it , she even said I don’t look out of shape, I guess for my whole life of trying to stay in shape has paid off for this happening .
Thanks again for everyone’s input !

I’m lucky to have not one but three PTs that are working with me , one insurance covers and I see her off and on as needed for myofascial work and Osatoopathic adjustments which really helps keep me aligned for my arthritis also .I discovered a
Medical yoga PT and a PT who specializes in Pilates.I’ve done Pilates also for years . I was able to do weight training, not the level I did pre diagnosis (at 64 y/o I was able to safely dead lift my weight) in June before I had Covid I was strength training and doing Pilates at a much reduced level, but now I see I really have to adjust …again .. what I can do , its good for me to learn it’s just not me experiencing this
I don't do any formal exercise now, and I really miss that. I am not sedentary of course, and I do go for a walk with the dogs almost every day, but it's not the same. I do make a point of lifting things when I need to and doing it right, (maybe lifting it twice just for the exercise) not using my hands to get off the floor, doing a few free squats, that kind of thing throughout my day. A calf stretch against the wall, etc. That's what I have found I can get away on a daily basis. I don't know much about Pilates; maybe that would be a good thing to try.

she even said I don’t look out of shape, I guess for my whole life of trying to stay in shape has paid off for this happening .
I am the same. Anyone looking at me would think that I am in great shape and healthy, and in some ways I am. But no one would guess that I have a chronic pain condition. The good thing, as you say, is that living a healthy lifestyle and being active and in good shape for most of my adult life has done me a lot of good in terms of how bad things are now. At least I started out with a body that was well conditioned and I have strength, flexibility, and a lot of endurance ability. I know things would probably be worse for me if I had not lived an active life prior to developing fibro.

You may want to look into Pilates :)
Especially if you haven’t tried it
Physical Therapists are getting trained in it more and more as well as trained Pilates instructors
I’ve seen both over the past 18 years off and on :)

but then I came down with this other respiratory virus so I’m delayed again to start exercising !
As said I don't see a virus hindering stretches etc., I always (have to) do them, regardless.
pain soreness all over , can’t really describe it
I think part of getting to know our bodies anew is to learn to sense these differences, and know how they work, praps give them names (like I have "severe Ache", often combined with (CFS-type) "post exertional malaise") and I also have what I've coined "post postural Ache" from not moving or moving in a certain way (like cycling) and then stopping.
i now know I can’t participate right now in an hour of Pilates sessions like I used to .
The last group things I did was an hour of back/neck class for people 20 years older than me. After 10 minutes of doing "as told" the pain got so tough that I started crying (that's what I call a 7). After a break I did them again but learnt to pace - in this case I did about a third of what the others were doing, sometimes went out of the class for a while to walk around and do something different, sometimes did other exercises or in my own way. I explained the teachers, PTs, and they understood and asked me to do it as I need it. My toolbox grew, I use some of the exercises adapted in my own way, as needed.
I just know I’m deconditioned , I can go to a Pilates session and do everything the instructor asks , then I pay for it , she even said I don’t look out of shape, I guess for my whole life of trying to stay in shape has paid off for this happening
As said, and from your description, I very much doubt you are de-conditioned at all (like I'm not either). I think that's the old way of thinking that needs to be changed. If you didn't have fibro I'm sure you could do the same as ever.
Just search for find things like supps or manual therapy or acupuncture or cold therapy that improve your energy and I think you'll find your strength is still there - so that's not deconditioned. Your energy has had brakes put on it.

That's not saying no one with fibro gets de-conditioned. But I think most people could prevent it by keeping on the move (even when sitting and lying down) while pacing well.
(Today I won 6:0 and 3:0 at table tennis, cos my energy is up from 10% to "28%" from LD N and not taking the statin - yesterday down to 15% half the day from taking 5mg of the statin.... So to me that's not de-conditioning, even after being down to energy of 10% most of this year, it's mucked up bio-chemistry.)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this information ! I really like the different description of symptoms and hearing what you’re able to do is very encouraging.I do have a great manual therapist that I’m starting to see again next week, a great massage therapist who does Reiki ( just experienced this and wow , this is an interesting modality) and saw a nutritionist a few weeks ago . I am a fan of CBD oil and balm also, my PT showed me in the past some lymph drainage simple techniques.
It’s very encouraging hearing from you :)

As said I don't see a virus hindering stretches etc., I always (have to) do them, regardless.
depends on the person and on the virus. When I have a flu virus or illness of that kind a not only do not have the energy to do "stretches etc" but also if I were to engage my body in that manner it would be very painful and not beneficial. So if you do them regardless, that's fine, but if others do not it's for their own good reasons, I imagine.

As said, and from your description, I very much doubt you are de-conditioned at all (like I'm not either). I think that's the old way of thinking that needs to be changed. If you didn't have fibro I'm sure you could do the same as ever.
I suspect what @Jdpop meant is that they are not in the condition they used to be in, as I am not, and this is because that kind of physical condition has to be maintained daily or close to daily or it quickly falls off. Not really an old way of think, g in my opinion, but rather an acknowledgement of fact.

But I think most people could prevent it by keeping on the move (even when sitting and lying down) while pacing well.
Maybe it's the definition of deconditioned. But if you have been in genuinely superior physical condition, and training or working out on a daily or almost daily basis and then lower that level to a much reduced level, you will be deconditioned in comparison to what you used to be, and you will feel that difference, and it's real.
Many if not most people would say I am in good physical condition. I know that I am not because I know what my body used to be capable of and how it felt to be in that body and that is no longer the case. I may be ok, but I am very much deconditioned.

It all depends on the condition that you have achieved. For an olympic athlete, for instance, and to use an extreme example, a week spent not training would decondition that body enough that winning the gold wouldn't be possible until it was built back. Building back would be fast, but would have to be done.

I was never that much of an athlete, but certainly understand those different levels.

Thank you both for your input which really has helped to understand more how to continue to exercise without flaring up and accepting my new level of being able to exercise, as well as the importance of keeping active with appropriate rests .

Thanks for delving into 2 bits of this, prompting me to explain and expand.

depends on the person and on the virus. When I have a flu virus or illness of that kind a not only do not have the energy to do "stretches etc" but also if I were to engage my body in that manner it would be very painful and not beneficial. So if you do them regardless, that's fine, but if others do not it's for their own good reasons, I imagine.
Of course some days of a virus we seem not to be able to do "anything", let alone a stretch workout. I meant slight, (but frequent!) twisting of spine and limbs, under the pain limit, no stretching session.
E.g. 1) my back exercises are vital, and may cause extreme discomfort during a virus, but mid term reduce pain and de-conditioning.
E.g. 2) I mean just changing postures with a slight twist while sitting or lying down, adjusted to person, virus, stage of virus.

Yes, if someone has good reasons not to move the slightest bit, that's fine. (Although almost impossible. Just there's good moves and bad moves.)
But my experience is that ("even") I always tend to move less than I could - and I do not have good reasons, it's very often things like habituation, forgetting, fear of pain of the moment, mental weariness, my weaker self, rather than actual extended pain. These reasons may be understandable and forgivable, but to me they are not good enough reasons to let my fitness decrease. Chronic or acute illnesses can "freeze me up", because I stop moving longer and more than is necessary, which isn't good for my condition, nor circulation. Similar to - but much less taxing than - forcing ourselves to go for a short walk altho we're not really up to it yet, because we know the fresh air and movement will hurt, but do more good than bad.

So I do still think, for everyone almost all the time: trying to move as much as it is possible with hardly extended pain can reduce de-conditioning.
You still don't?
this is because that kind of physical condition has to be maintained daily or close to daily or it quickly falls off. Not really an old way of thinking in my opinion, but rather an acknowledgement of fact.
Here I was distinguishing between de-conditioning and fibro Ache/fatigue.
The old pre-fibro way of thinking of movements hurting is we appear to be de-conditioned. Your "acknowledgement of fact" is only part of the fact I'm talking about. Understanding fibro we know that part of it is de-conditioning, but most of it isn't.

Of those who are as active as possible I'd estimate maybe 20% is de-conditioning and 80% is Ache/fatigue. In my case because my exhaustibility is higher and my de-conditioning apparently lower, I'd say it's even 10% de-conditioning and 90% Ache/fatigue. For someone not doing anything a lot more may be de-conditioning, but even then not 100%. So however much: there is a difference, and it's an important one. Same as when we talk about finding the sweet spots, or @Kdpop's question how to find the balance. The main part of that balance is that between (reducing) de-conditioning and (reducing) the Ache/fatigue.
I'd be curious if anyone disagrees, and why.
Maybe it's the definition of deconditioned. But if you have been in genuinely superior physical condition, and training or working out on a daily or almost daily basis .....
It all depends on the condition that you have achieved. For an olympic athlete, ... Building back would be fast, but would have to be done.
So that definition of de-conditioned would be assuming that @Jdpop means losing the superior physical condition and being only acutely ill, not chronically.
I'm not, to me that doesn't seem sensible - I'm assuming a) fibro, i.e. chronical illness. Plus b) not too severe symptoms, c) only just realizing that can be done has gotten less, and d) that sore muscles from exercise are not the same as sore muscles from fibro. In such a case I'd estimate the de-conditioning has not progressed that much yet. (But yes, I was deliberately "exaggerating" when I said "no" de-conditioning: of course any illness de-conditions a bit.)

Of course fibro comes with some de-conditioning. I mean: The Ache and fatigue of fibro during/after activity can be mistaken for that de-conditioning.

I'm thinking many of us may see the difference between de-conditioning and overdoing it from "our good days vs. our bad days": If we are primarily de-conditioned, we can't have (that) good days, flare/backlash or not.

Adding...:
Someone may say the first part (slightly twist-stretching during rest) can not have much influence on the second part (de-conditioning).

But this is "finding the sweet spots" and "pacing" in a more detailed way. Plus serenity-prayer style always trying to detect the loopholes to move pain-"free" that little bit more, after all.
My intention is: Knowing it's mainly biochemical imbalance and only partly lack of muscle strength or stamina can give us hope and encourage us to keep gently moving and at the same time look for something that takes the brakes off again (like I've had for several reasons, esp. now sustainably LD N).

Recent studies have proven that frequent slight movements incl. stretches make much more difference than we think, just because they keep the muscles active. It's that ("20%") stimulus that counts much more (bringing us to "80%") than giving 100%.

Last edited:
Back