New here

Karen H

Hi all, newly diagnosed by gp, not sure if she can actually diagnose or if have to see a rheumatologist,
Struggling atm with pin in abdomen, back and legs, does fm affect the bladder, when I have back problems my bladder becomes, let's say irritated, sounds weird but I'm not getting any feeling of needing to go to the toilet, no urgency nothing, like my brain isn't telling my bladder it is full, I think that's enough for first post lol sorry if tmi.
Karen H
X

Hi Karen, and welcome. Nope, not TMI. We discuss lots of things here.

What tests has your GP run that makes them give you the diagnosis of fibromyalgia?

Most people do see a rheumatologist, but it is not necessary in order to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

What IS necessary is to make sure that, before you accept a diagnosis of fibro, you are tested for ALL of the many other things that could be causing the symptoms that you have. This is a long list of things.
Some can be excluded if you do not have certain symptoms that are always seen with that specific disorder or illness, but most have specific tests you need to get to eliminate them.

This is important because you don't want to fail to find out you may have something treatable that might be progressive if you don't find out what is going on. Also, a true diagnosis of fibro is always arrived at after elimination of those other things, because there is no conclusive test that proves a person has fibro. The very definition is a condition in which a person has long-term widespread pain that cannot be diagnosed as anything else.

Do not accept a "pressure point" test as being diagnostic for fibromyalgia, as this test is 100% bunk and was conclusively proven years ago to be worthless. If a doctor gives you that test, find a different doctor because that one doesn't know anything about fibromyalgia.

For your bladder issues I recommend you see a urologist. It is not a common issue for people with fibro, and is likely to be an infection or something else that is causing that. Since you say that it comes with back pain, it may be pressure being placed on a nerve.....it's impossible to say. But get that checked out separately.

you are welcome here, to ask questions and tell us about your experience. We are here to help.

Thank you for reply Hun, I've been suffering with pain for almost 20 years, had almost every test under the sun, bloods, scans, MRI, x rays, lots of things have been ruled out, like MS, arthritis ect, I do have cervical spondylitis, witch does cause neck stiffness and pain, around 10 years ago they did mention fm and put me on lyrica, pregabalin, I took them for 2 years before Dr said to come off then as side effects were making me ill, I thought I was feeling ill as side effects were same as I was feeling, but I did feel much better of them than in them, I've been through so much over the years, been in so many hospitals one Dr thought I had bleed on the brain another thought lupus, I've had lumbar punctures, basically everything, was just looking for a place to ask for help with some of my aches and pains.
Karen H

Well, I think you have come to a good place for that, Karen. We are here to help each other the best that we can, and certainly if you want to find a group of people who understand what it is to live with chronic pain you have found it!!

I hope you will feel free to ask for anything you might need, whether it is information, others' stories, recommendations or advice, or just someone to read your complaining for a while. We do all of that here.

Back