Not open for further replies.

Raine

Diagnosis
09/2012
Country
UK
State
England
Hi all I am relatively new to all this. I was only diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia in September of last year 2012. Even though I had been taking the medication for the past 3 years whilst undergoing test after test. I find it very difficult to get people to understand about having Fibromyalgia because its a hidden disease and people cannot see that doing the most simple things to them is in fact very painful for sufferers to do. I am sure I will think of more to say to on the subject at another time. As this is my first post I am keeping it brief lol

1sweed

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
That is the one thing of people not understanding and the biggest issue with having Fibromyalgia. I have had it for over 15 years, and still people say to be how well I look or why can't you get a job. And the jobs they recommend would have me standing on my feet for hours as a clerk or a waitness hauling heavy trays. Even a door greeter stands on their feet for most of the day or evening. When I explain why I can not do this they give me looks like I am lying or lazy, or avoiding supporting myself. One lady from a town near by brags about how she has Fibro, and she works a full day, so if she can do it why can't I. I do not think it affects her badly yet, plus she is a heavy drinker and that can make you forget the pain as long as the booze holds out. Anyways, I do a lot of praying over this issue as it breaks my heart when friends and family think I am faking an illness. Most of us here are dealing with it and will give you more tips on handling the pain of others not believing you are sick.

Cynder

Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
Utah
I was just diagnosed last week, and I still am embarrassed about saying I have Fibromyalgia... way too much stigma attached. It's funny, because when other people say they have it. I totally support them and understand. I believe them. Dunno why it's different for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.