Sensitivity to Tight Clothing?

@sunkacola
It's easier for women to look elegant and put together in something loose than it is for men, though.
Ahhhh....yes and no. Bras are not all that comfortable when even the neck on a skivvy or the sleeves on a shirt are a bit 'firm' for comfort 😁
That's the first thing off when I get home 😁😁😁

@chewbecca88

Would braces help at all, getting away from tight belt? ( mind you, weight on shoulders might be a problem also.)

Can't wear bras right now either... I think it must be easier for females to adapt clothing. I use vest tops or crop tops with hidden support ( as long as the inner bit isn't too tight under the bust ) can't do braless, but by 5pm it's PJ time for sure.

Would braces help at all, getting away from tight belt? ( mind you, weight on shoulders might be a problem also.)
Ah, that's theoretically one for me, cos for my stomach & gut my belt needs to be so loose that my trousers keep slipping. 😊
I did try braces, and have still got them, but felt awful. Maybe I should try again to find out if that's still the case and why, but as I can only work from home I can afford to be lax....

"These days, there are so many different kinds of clothing types available that are entirely acceptable for wear just about anywhere. The days of women in skirts and heels and men always having to wear suits and ties seem to be past, at least for most situations and professions. Have you tried looking online for super comfortable but elegant clothing that you can wear which do not have the restrictive feel you have trouble with? I relate to what you are saying, because by the end of the day I always change into something loose myself.
It's easier for women to look elegant and put together in something loose than it is for men, though."

"Wondering if that time can be extended by small tricks like taking shoes off under a desk, or things less directly related to clothing like changing posture more (e.g. standing more)?"

I am lucky to work in a profession and an office where there are no pressures to dress nice. I can and do wear sweats, shorts or jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt or whatever I want and no one bats an eye. So I'm not talking about wearing heels, skirts, etc. Regular clothes still weigh heavy and restrictive by the end of the day. If I could do the bra-less thing mentioned by some women that would help but I can't get away with that unfortunately. I think that what I need is the extra activity (short walks or standing or even just some music) to take my mind off of it at the end of the day so I am too busy to notice the discomfort and no time to dwell on it. Taking my shoes off under my desk when I'm not out in the field is a good suggestion too, thank you.

Can't wear bras right now either... I think it must be easier for females to adapt clothing. I use vest tops or crop tops with hidden support ( as long as the inner bit isn't too tight under the bust ) can't do braless, but by 5pm it's PJ time for sure.
I haven't been able to wear one for many years; like you, I wear vests, but now, instead of cotton, they are made of that tight, elastic, synthetic type of material that causes me problems.

I can't sleep properly if weight is on my feet,
Interesting you say that, because I get cramps in my feet (between the instep and shin) from the heavy blankets. The foot starts jumping and turning in, sometimes I wonder if there's an additional CNS/neurological component.

These days, there are so many different kinds of clothing types available that are entirely acceptable for wear just about anywhere. The days of women in skirts and heels and men always having to wear suits and ties seem to be past, at least for most situations and professions. Have you tried looking online for super comfortable but elegant clothing that you can wear which do not have the restrictive feel you have trouble with? I relate to what you are saying, because by the end of the day I always change into something loose myself.
It's easier for women to look elegant and put together in something loose than it is for men, though.
What I find is that clothing designed to be more comfortable is actually tighter and made with material that can be more irritating. Also, I find the elastic in clothing is so tight it restricts my breathing and causes the area of skin it comes in contact with to be very red and indented and have crease marks from the clothing.

I can't sleep properly if weight is on my feet, so usually have a pillow to take the weight. As a child, I'd pull the tucked blankets out, the pain of the 'drag down" effect could make me feel like screaming.
I missed this, but yeah: I hated English blankets which we don't have at all in Germany, I use duvets, much lighter, even thick ones. The weighted blankets so popular in England may 'comfort' me for a few minutes, but after 30-60': yup, yucky, scream!
Interesting you say that, because I get cramps in my feet (between the instep and shin) from the heavy blankets. The foot starts jumping and turning in, sometimes I wonder if there's an additional CNS/neurological component.
Reminds me that Achilles tendinitis isn't just caused by overuse, but also by the toes drooping in bed, which heavy blankets will likely increase. So I try to avoid or counteract that. (Worst case I'd try to put on some kind of soft slipper to keep the sole straight.)

There is an online clothes shop in the UK that seems to be for people with chronic pain conditions, but it's only for women which seems a bit unfair. Although the tops and dresses seem the larger floaty type, the trousers and leggings still seem to have elasticated waists. I too fine these so restrictive, they cut in and irritate my skin. IBS bloating doesn't help either. I am still working out what foods etc worsen the IBS.

it's only for women which seems a bit unfair.
....no kidding. I have always thought that the Rules for what people wear are unfair to both men and women. Like....women need pockets, too! And who decided that wearing high heels was a good idea, when it's known that they cause foot, leg, and back problems, not to mention that a woman cannot run in them if she needs to!

And why can't men wear a skirt if they want to without being seen as weird or cross-dressing.

Dress codes have loosened considerably in the past 50 years or so, even more just since the Pandemic, and that's a good thing. But it has always seemed to me that if a person is clean and well groomed, they shouldn't ever be judged for what they wear no matter what it is.

First I am a huge supporter of pockets for all! As a woman I don't always want to carry what feels like a sack of belongings with me when I go out. Keys and money, that's me sorted, so Give Us All Pockets. Please.😁

I have never been one for skinny high heels, but some chunky heels give me a bit of height when I fancy it. At just 5'3 it does make me feel good.

But I totally love that traditional dress codes are changing. People should be able to dress for themselves. If you look good you feel good and that has to be a good thing.

I can only address how sensitive I am to clothing labels, especially with tops and shirts. I usually have to cut them out. Often they are made with rough edges so they won't be ruined in the wash. I'm also very sensitive to certain fabrics: wool, rayon, etc. Even some threads in seams are irritants. In addition, there are additives to fabrics that can cause problems:

One other thing: one time I left an optician's office with brand new glasses. By the time I got home, I had a headache (atypical for me). I went back the next day, and they adjusted them, loosened the sides that were pressing against my head, and that did the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only address how sensitive I am to clothing labels, especially with tops and shirts. I usually have to cut them out. Often they are made with rough edges so they won't be ruined in the wash. I'm also very sensitive to certain fabrics: wool, rayon, etc. Even some threads in seams are irritants. In addition, there are additives to fabrics that can cause problems:

One other thing: one time I left an optician's office with brand new glasses. By the time I got home, I had a headache (atypical for me). I went back the next day, and they adjusted them, loosened the sides that were pressing against my head, and that did the trick.
PatL, I have edited your post to remove the link that you included. Outside links, that is any link to an internet site that is not on this forum itself, are not permitted on this forum.
Please read the Forum Rules so that you can familiarize yourself with them. Thank you.

Back