Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetWithSour

Distinguished member
Reason
Other
Diagnosis
01/2001
What are your go to rewards, tricks, or little pick me ups do y'all use on those days where you would rather hid under the covers and not adult? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the days where you just want to stay in bed all day. You're blah. Hard to even focus on a TV show.

My dogs are 3 cute snuggles that help me get out of bed. The smell and taste of the freshly ground and brewed coffee poured in one of my many inappropriate makes me smile a laugh mugs. Watching sunrise and catching the cotton candy sky. These all help me get out of bed when I just don't want to. My number one trick "I ride along with my friend on her way to work in the morning". No literally riding in with here, but we are on the phone together keeping her awake and both of us entertained.

I need to find more tricks, I'd love to hear from y'all

Last edited:
My dogs.
There's no one to let them outside, feed them, and take them for a walk every morning but me so I get up and do it whether I want to get u p or not.

Don't think I have anything in the way of a new idea for you, since mine are a lot like yours.

I know what you mean, hard even to focus on a film, youtube, book, or anything else some days. I don't have TV (too expensive, and who needs it), but on the days when everything is too much effort for the amount of energy I have there are always my dogs. They make me smile, cuddle with me, and entertain me when there's nothing else. If pain is so bad that I spend the day on the couch, they are there with me.

Sunrise...yes. I don't think a day is complete if I don't see the sunrise and the sunset, and I count them among the great things that one gets for free.

Coffee helps. I only have one cup a day but I cherish that.

Most days I don't talk to anyone else. Usually, I talk to about one person a week, which works fine for me.

I have a cat too and he sure wouldn't let me stay in bed all day.

But that's about it. Mostly....it's my dogs. Life wouldn't be worth living without them.

where you would rather hid under the covers....
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the days where you just want to stay in bed all day....
I need to find more tricks, I'd love to hear from y'all...
Up to this spring, I pretty much succumbed to the darkness of my bedroom with blackout blinds, put on a hoodie, took hours to get "awake", head dulled, sometimes headache. The only thing I made sure of was never to stay lying in bed, cos I knew that's bad for sleep, and just cos it hurt.
Then suddenly I heard several sleep experts saying we need to get earliest sun in our eyes for cortisol and melatonin, so pull sleep forward and get up early even if we haven't slept. They recommended to do that bit by bit. But I'm someone who has to wrench to the new habit and then adjust. Doing it, I quickly realized myself that this was right for me as well as a different doc saying we don't need as much sleep. Just in the beginning I went down from trying to get 9h to 6h, I now know 7-8 is ideal.
By doing all that and being in the garden most of the day, I've also realized the fresh air is great for me, and even the freshest musty air in the flat takes my oxygen, makes me feel needy of "something", while being outdoors makes me feel "full" of that, so I imagine air and oxygen...

So that's my big motivation every morning: Knowing I'm harming myself by succumbing to the tiredness, knowing I'll have more effective sleep, better quality of life, save myself a few hours of dropping out, gaining a whole long(er) day, feeling more refreshed and more full of freshness, and with sort of more "energy" (at least slow & passive energy).
I don't blame myself for succumbing before, I really didn't realize. But it's weird going from someone who wasn't responsive much before 11 now to someone who is usually now up at 6 or 7.

My ex-manual therapist by the way called the sun "Clara" and "greeted" her every morning. I do greet it/her sometimes too.

Off topic: Now I realize I've developed a high blood pressure problem I no longer "leap" - i.e. swing myself - out of bed using force/energy, to not make it surge up from 100/65 to 160/90 (probably cos it's overdoing it first thing). That does make it a bit harder to get brain and body moving. But once I've ravelled myself out, I open a big window fully, sit on the sill, and take all my first supps looking at the morning sky, looking for the lightest part, even if the sun isn't out. Sort of a bit like I used to look at a full moon for energy. Maybe placebo, maybe more. Next I care for the plants in flat and on balcony and at the moment then often feed up our poorly guinea pig when my wife hasn't got the time.

Your examples: I can't talk much anyway, so in the mornings that's not exactly better. With TV & film it's not brain fog focusing, in case you two mean that, it's the emotional energy necessary that I can't manage. Sometimes I can let people talk at me for 20 mins. or more if I take breaks, but I need to distance myself and be introverted. So un-/like @sunkacola I have loads of people, but don't talk much...

Last edited:
emotional energy necessary that I can't manage. Sometimes I can let people talk at me for 20 mins. or more if I take breaks, but I need to distance myself and be introverted
Oh I understand this well regarding emotional energy! I've had to be very deliberate in trying to manage emotional energy drains that are not productive, this has included some friendships and hobbies. I've cut out most social media and I spend only a short amount of time catching up on news/current events. It took me a while to understand how sensitive I am to emotions of others.

Great subject, I have to get up , if I lay in I ache so bad, just not worth the extra pain trying to get the body moving of a morning.
After I feed the wild birds, my birds, our dogs a cat and all our fish and put all the old animal food left over in the compost I have my breaky and a cuppa.
I am lucky having a little farm I do get my steps in of a day. I also have now finished my little potting area I have named my “ pot spot” , I am waiting on my son to move the last bush rock and pavers.
1CFC12CE-74C9-42EB-B747-74AB52B96E34.png
I can go sit in my egg chair, and enjoy my birds and frogs between planting.
My personal little haven.

I LOVE that you have created yourself a special space to enjoy nature and feel nice and secure in your egg chair. It looks like such a relaxing calm area of peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back