Today I chose to start my day happy

SweetWithSour

Distinguished member
Reason
Other
Diagnosis
01/2001
Today, I have made a conscious effort to start my day off happy. I turned on the fire pit outside, something I typically do do in the early mornings. I decided today, why not? Early mornings are my favorite time of day. Why shouldn't I enjoy the full experience because it isn't a normal time people have on a fire pit. Today, I chose to be happy and not over think things!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207_054909_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207_054909_Gallery.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
You are a very, very lucky person if you can simply choose to be happy and then actually be happy. If a person can do that then they will always be happy, I guess. That doesn't work for everyone, doesn't work at all for me, but I am glad for you if it works for you.

For me, when I set that intention and mindset it helps me. I find the morning goes a little smoother, rather than getting upset and frustrated and worked up. When my hands and brain haven't quit connected, I can laugh it off, take my time and not feel rushed!

I'm beyond blessed!!! Nothing has highlighted that more than the last few years, wow! I chose to be happy and enjoy the abundance of blessings. My back patio and yard, I've learned to appreciate much more after we had a mold triggered renovation of our house and we bounced around 5 places in 6 months. A new puppy (with two other dogs), new medical treatment 2xs a week needing my husband to take me and a new diagnosis to add to the list, Tumor-induced osteomalacia (TIO). This tumor produces a hormone that depletes my body of phosphorus. My mobility has been impaired greatly. The blessing is that the new renovation allows me to still do things on my own getting around and being able to cook. I see food as love, and enjoy cooking for others to enjoy!

When I decided today to be happy, what I really desided to do was intentionally try to look for the good, or maybe a way to enhance the good to make it better. To slow down and be appreciative of where I'm in that moment. I also set the intention to stay relaxed and not to be flustered when the speed bumps and challenges of the day pop up. That I can chose how I "show up" in those moments.

So maybe happy isn't the right word! Today I chose to be a peace with myself. I chose seeing the good, looking for special moments to be appreciative for during the day. Today I chose to be grounded, relaxed, greatful and to look at thing with curiosity. Today I chose to have a positive impact on myself for my tomorrow by taking care of my body with good food, exercise and rest.

With my treatment resistant depression, I understand that happiness can be very difficult! I know there is no flick of the switch easy tada moment when I set my intention and choice to be happy today. It is something that need energy, effort, and continually "fed" through the day.

Today I chose to give feel and recieve love

hey, @SweetWithSour , I appreciate all that you say, and applaud you for your attitude and the effort that you are putting into your life and the love with which you come here and write about it in order to try to help others. You are a light in the world, at least on this forum! Thank you.

I am only saying that whenever someone says that they can just choose to be happy it has a tendency to rankle with me. I am a person who has had chronic clinical level depression for almost my entire life, and I cannot just choose to be happy any more than I can choose not to have fibromyalgia, or choose to be a different age from what I am. Sure, I can "choose" something if I want to but my choosing it has as much effect on reality as if I "chose" for the moon to change color.

YOU are not doing this, SweetWithSour,.....but I have had some people say to me, "Just CHOOSE to be happy!", as if it were my own fault that I suffer from depression and fibromyalgia and whatever else is going on, and I could just choose to be different. I always want to say, and sometimes do...."If it were that easy, don't you think that everyone would do it?" If it were that easy, then why would over 40% of American adults identify as depressed these days?
No one chooses to be depressed any more than they choose to have fibro or any other mentally or physically debilitating disorder. When someone tells another just to choose otherwise when they cannot, it feels like blame and makes things a lot worse. I spent a lot of years thinking that if only I tried harder, "chose" better, did the right thing, worked harder at it somehow, I would get better. But no amount of effort changed anything. I have talked to others who are like me and feel the same way.

As a result, I have a tendency to want to explain that this doesn't work for everyone when someone talks about choosing to be happy. NOT because I object to what you are saying, SweetWithSour, or where you are coming from. But just to let others reading this know that, if this doesn't sound real to them, they are not alone, and it's not their fault.

I don't think there is anything available that I did not try at one time or another in order to relieve my depression. No amount of time, effort, or money ( the many, many thousands of dollars for books, tapes, seminars, therapists of all kinds, workshops, classes, techniques, medications, supplements, and on and on often eating up more of my meager budget than I spent on anything else except rent) was ever spared because I was absolutely determined to overcome the depression that had consistently kept me down ever since I was a child. I wrote a whole post about this here, actually, and you can read it if you want to.

After decades of spending the majority of my time, energy, and money on trying to fix that, I finally gave up and decided just to manage it as best I can. That is the best I can do, and that is what I do. I have learned to live with it, to live in a way that doesn't spread gloom all over everyone else, to be independent with it and never ask or expect help from others, and instead to do what little I can when I am able to, to help others I might be able to help. To help people, even if remotely through a forum, and to help animals more directly. This is what I can do. It doesn't make my depression less, but at least it has a chance of doing something good in the world, however small.

With my treatment resistant depression, I understand that happiness can be very difficult!

For some of us happiness is not difficult. It is impossible. No amount of energy, effort, and continuous feeding will create happiness. The best that happens is relief for brief periods of time, and moments of joy that can spring through fleetingly because the puppy does something ridiculous or the sunrise is spectacular or something equally magical happens. I have learned to grab those moments and love and cherish them because they are gone almost immediately and cannot be strung together into a continuity. I am grateful for those, and that is what I get. I don't have a bad life. I have much to be grateful for and am immensely grateful for all of it, every day. I am lucky in many ways, and unlucky in others, like most people. Many people have far worse lives than I do; I never feel sorry for myself. I can enjoy what I have when I am able to, but I cannot choose to be happy and then be happy.

Each of us has to find our own way If a person can actually choose to be happy and then be happy, then more power to them! I'm delighted that it works for some people. I just needed to explain why I say it doesn't apply to everyone.

Thank you, SweetWithSour, for your presence in this forum. I am glad you are here, and I know that I am not by any means alone in saying this. You grab your happiness and your peace, girl, and revel in it. Good for you for being able to do this, and if anyone reading this thinks it might work for them.............give it a try. You really have nothing to lose. :)

I recommend Viktor Frankl's work. A psychologist who wrote Man's Search for Meaning. Dr. Frankl's journey included 4 concentration camps in 3 years. He lost his parents and wife during that time. He is the founder of logotherapthy (searching for life purpose, a meaning, is a motivational force). One thing that sticks with me is his thoughts on choice. It is a very interesting take.

have had some people say to me, "Just CHOOSE to be happy!", as if it were my own fault that I suffer from depression and fibromyalgia and whatever else is going on, and I could just choose to be different.
Hugs @sunkacola I understand this is so frustrating when people do this to us who suffer from invisible illnesses. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I apologize for my short post without much behind it when I originally posted.

Thank you for your bravery and authenticity in your reply. I can assume you weren't the only one to have such a strong reaction. Many things happen to us that is out of our control that we aren't consulted or given a choice. It is placed upon us and many times this includes things that have a negative and painful implication on us. I did not chose to be dyslexic, have fibromyalgia, how the doctors and others in society (mainly I think due to lack of experience and being educated about fibromyalgia) react, have severe treatment resistant depression, anxiety or tumor-induced osteomalacia.

Yes life can, and unfortunately sometimes, suck! Those forces are out of my hands and control. I will not deny that my day to day can sometimes be so challenging that I just want to die. Those are the times where I can chose my next step, my reaction to what is being placed upon me. Is there a way that I can use it and be empowered. Some days I'm better at it than others. The beauty is I'm able to try again today. And for that I'm greatful.

Thank you again for bringing yourself and your authenticity! Thank you for providing this space for our discussion here! Thank you for pointing out the accuracy and emotion behind your thoughts. I absolutely did not clarify myself articuatly. I appreciate the discussion and look forward to more conversations. At the moment, I need to head out for labs. 🤗

@SweetWithSour , hugs back. And don't think you need to apologize at all!
I was only giving my perspective, and probably wouldn't have done that but for the fact that I think I may speak for others as well.
Like I said, we all just do what we can.
Yes, if one is able to try again today, then that is enough.
Courage doesn't have to be big or showy. It doesn't need to roar. Sometimes it is just a little voice inside that says "I will try again tomorrow".

Back