Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2001
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi. I don't post often, I'm a lurker. I don't have the energy to engage here and Iapologizefor that.

20+ years ago, I was one of the first people in Canada to be legally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Back then, it was a Rheumatologist only who could diagnose this condition. And yes, Western medicine was skeptical. Even today, you hear of some crackpots with a medical degree spouting nonsense about how it isn't even real!

So, a few years later, my lower back decided to become a nasty hitchhiker in my life. And it's never stopped. To add insult to injury, my spinal shots are directly into 2 of my tender spots.

But these people don't take into consideration that there are outstanding medical issues. Ever, with anyone. Their job is to alleviate certain pains, and other than that, tough noogies on your other conditions.

So here's the thing. Years ago, I was put on the above-mentioned medication. Herein called HMC. (I'm lazy, lol).

Over the years, my dosage has been upped and upped to an eventual 18mg of HMC a day, and Hydromorphone (fast acting HMC) as needed. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Fast forward to present day, and a new doctor, as mine had retired from burnout. First visit, she had me tapering off the HMC. Within a 6 month period, this is to occur. I'm fine by that, as I've experienced not tapering off a medication that has actually caused me permanent physical damage. Needless to say, I was scared and anxious. I will not go through that again!

I'm at the 3 month mark, and I've decreased to 9mg a day and no Hydromorphone. My old doctor originally prescribed this to help with both my back issue and FM. I have aggressive FM.

No one knows for sure if the fact that I had Mononucleosis, Chronic Fatique, and the Epstein Barr virus prior to being diagnosed, has opened the door to FM, the science just isn't there yet. But as I understand it, they're fairly close to having actual proof that it does. We'll see, I'm skeptical.

Weaning off this medication is not easy. HMC, by any other name, is morphine's stronger sister. I could go on about how the withdrawal affects you, but there's no real point.

I guess all this babbling can be summed up in a paragraph of opinion. Once I'm off of HMC, we will be revisiting medication and Cortisone cocktails in my spine.

Don't bother using Hydromorph Contin. You will only become addicted to it, and in the long run, does not help FM. But YMMV.

Good day @Caylee!
I too am a long, long ago dx of FM (1999) with a serious back injury occurring just a few years later (2001). I’ve always been a “take ONLY what you need” type of person. After the back surgery failed, a new Dr decided the previous treatment with short acting meds was not working, and promptly put me on fentanyl patches. And at what I see now - a ridiculously high level. Per my request, we began the process of getting off. I went from 250mcg to 0 - but it took 3 years!!! Insurance regulations wouldn‘t allow a drop of more than 20% at a time. So - 3 years of bad sleep, horrible discomfort, and sleeping in the bathtub. Yes, I slept in the tub, because the hot water would calm the legs. I would get severe restless legs, and once the first jerk happened, I knew there were more coming. Just run the tub, and go back to sleep.
The thing was - although the pain meds help(ed) the back pain - It Did (Does) Nothing for the Fibro. Absolutely nothing.
To this day, a fibro flare will make my back pain severe. But, the pain meds do not help the all over ache.
IMO - do NOT get on an opioid if at all possible. If you do accept it for something other than Fibro, take the lowest possible dose, for the shortest amount of time possible! DO NOT a take more than prescribed! Not more pills at a time, or more often than ordered. If you are running out before the month is over, you’re using too much, and it’s time to talk to the dr. Some people metabolize the meds faster than others (I take every 8 hours, as opposed to 12), and may need more often, but not a higher dosage.
As you said @Caylee YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back