Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/1995
Country
US
State
IL
Does any of you feel pretty good once you get moving in the morning, then by mid afternoon to evening the pain just progresses? You fool yourself thinking that maybe it's not so bad then by evening it comes back with a vengeance. That's been my experience lately.

It is typical of FM that the pain will be different, in intensity or in place, during different parts of the day. For some, morning is worst, for others evening. For me, morning is worse in some places, evening worse in others. It's all part of the same strangeness that is fibromyalgia.

Does any of you feel pretty good once you get moving in the morning, then by mid afternoon to evening the pain just progresses? You fool yourself thinking that maybe it's not so bad then by evening it comes back with a vengeance. That's been my experience lately.
It is typical of FM that the pain will be different, in intensity or in place, during different parts of the day. For some, morning is worst, for others evening. For me, morning is worse in some places, evening worse in others. It's all part of the same strangeness that is fibromyalgia.
Yeah, I also have all these experiences.... I've learnt to manage to identify almost all triggers of symptoms according to types, times, areas etc. So nothing overwhelms me, even if new things come to unravel. The variety remains strange.

What you're describing, Doctrinaut, to me would be the most basic one that it's hard to know if we're overdoing it. This is the strangest bit of fibro, so different to normal life.
The night's rest helps pain and energy for a time in the mornings (after the first stiffness, on good days). But it's so easy to overuse that, to overdo it. Only if we listen to our bodies extremely carefully can we sense this. Often we('d) need to stop everything we are doing and maybe even check into each body part, using a body scan, or at least our typical problem areas. Sometimes not even that, sometimes only the use of our brains can stop us fooling ourselves about it not being so bad. Sometimes people around us aware of this problem can help by asking us to check. My table tennis mate does that when he senses it. My wife does it a bit too much.

And that is the next problem - finding the amount of overdoing it so our backlash is tolerable, is one that is worth it. Again that varies and additionally can't be judged perfectly, but it still makes sense to try.

My wife says I shouldn't schedule any backlash at all, complains that I don't judge well. My belief is that my backlashes are well calculated and worth it and when I explain that she does understand - but then forgets it again.
I've had a backlash for the 2nd week now, after a 30' talk, that might appear "too long". But to me it was an opportunity of a lifetime, it will be the last time I do that kind of thing and it went brilliantly, so the positive effect will last years longer than the backlash of possibly a month.
Table tennis I can hardly play one game now (even before that, mainly due to getting "non-CoV" a month ago. I love(-d) it, but it's stopped being worth it, because the (slight) "torture" starts after 5'. I also need to keep socializing to a minimum, just special people.
Instead I've reduced my activities to doing things that only take 40-60% of my energy, task switching very frequently and then able to push thru with many small rewarding things with only "appropriate" and tolerable exhaustion at the end of the day. Mainly gardening, not much else except online work for resting time.
I did have one backlash at midday the other day which surprised me, cos I didn't get what I'd done differently. But I immediately 'hibernated' online, a welcome diversion. Next day I realized what the problem had been. I'd been "carrying" paving stones like the days before. But the days before I'd been using all the tricks of physics, lever principles incl. a wheelbarrow, with hardly any exertion. But because that had given no backlash I forgot that one day and moved a bit more like I used to, using more of my muscles, cos it's such fun, feels good. But not worth it. What made me realize that was the day after again starting with some more paving stones and being surprised at my much too normal movements (unbelievable how many paving stones can be hidden buried all around a garden, above 10 square metres). I immediately corrected back to lever principles and much more task switching and there was absolutely no backlash. Of course to get there I have to be 100% sure that I recovered completely from the day before, have to tone down, take it easy, lots of task-switching, actually "underdo" it.

I feel better after I move in the morning, but it all depends what I did the day before. Yesterday I walked alot took my daughter staking.so she spent most of the time holding on to me.So this morning I hurt I really hurt. Amd so il hurt all day now know matter what I do .

Hi Doctrinaut, over the years I've found that I ache a lot in the morning before it eases towards noon. Later in the day symptoms get worse such as pain, muscle tightness and fatigue. As others have said it can depend on the body part and what you have done the day before. Chronic pain from old injuries are a problem throughout the day for me. Atb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back