Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
GR
State
Athens
Fibromyalgia-diagnosed

Hello everyone,

My name is Athina and i am from Greece. I am 28 years old and recently before a month and a half i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia,afer 5 years of endless running to the doctors for pain in the hands, in my back, in my legs and making all kind of exams that showed almost nothing clinical. After all of that, i was ready to give up searching, but my father encourage me to keep looking, so after my neurologist advice i went to see a rheumatologist. He made the diagnosis, and after i went to another general doctor for an opinion, which she verified also the diagnosis.

My symptoms over the years are:
-general pain in specific or not parts of the body that stay for months or more.
-strong headaches very often
-stomach problems
-fatigue- exhaustion
and some mood problems over peaks mostly.

The truth is that even if a like to read medical articles and i believe i am well aware about a lot of medical conditions, i never heard fibromyalgia before i was diagnosed. After that of course, i made my research about the matter and surely i want to know more!

Apart from that, blood exams showed that i have deficiency in B12- D (vitamins) and shortage of iron, which the doctor told me that make the symptoms worse. So i started to take vitamins and have to make re- examinations and check often to see how it goes.
I decided for now not to take any meds about fibromyalgia and will try to reduce it on my own. Last 5 years now i am trying but no big result came out, every now an then i have peaks that last months.

I want to know your opinions about meds (If they are helpful, if the have side effects, if they really do make the difference)
Also, i want to know if there are any other treatments apart from exercise, massage , accupuncture etc.)

Thank you all in advance, and for your time and effort reading this :smile:

Medications have been hit or miss for me. Sometimes they help then just stop, some of them have worse side effects than not taking them. We're you in any kind of wreck or accident before the onset? What about anything traumatic or death of a loved one? I would try really hard to try to use some cognitive behavior therapy and try to be positive if you don't want to try meds right away. The power of positive thinking, and just try to remain active you will have to push yourself no doubt but if you get stuck in a rut go see a doctor. In a rut it can be extremely difficult to get out of and you will hit rock bottom. Keep trying things until you find something that helps you. Don't ever give up.

Hello links56,

Thank you for your response.
I hit the bottom a few months before, it was the worst time (psychologically), even though at that time i did not had any kind of important problems. Generally i had a lot of psychological traumas including death, serious diseases etc but they were after the onset. I mean i remember these symptoms at least five years before ( the death although had already happened). I am trying really hard to keep my psychology up and myself busy. The vitamins that i am taking ( at least on the fatigue problem, the sleep problem and the muscle pains) are really helping and i am a lot better after only a month and a half that i am taking them. I have red, on many articles that fibromyalgia is caused by a problem on the brains chemistry and that's why on many of those who suffer from it , the doctors notice vitamin and hormone problem. In order to be better, you have to ameliorate the levels of them. In case things go worse again of course i will consider go seeing a doctor but i am trying everything before resulting on meds.
You may also keep looking for other alternatives ( in case you want of course) and check your vitamins levels and hormones, because any disruption on them cause a lot of symptoms. Hoping this will be helpful to you and everyone who read this. :razz: :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back